|Numbers and notes from 07/12, Cross-posted at labangel's corner|
Life: I got engaged! And my college bestie got engaged a week later!
- I flew out to the east coast for one weekend and had a small engagement ceremony at my parent's house. I flew right back to California to attend an onsite interview.
- My mom is hardcore planning my wedding already. I feel like there's a lot of miscommunication between my parents and my boyfriend's parents as compared to me and my boyfriend. It may also be that my mom has a lot of free time to overthink things, gets stressed incredibly easily, and has (sometimes unreasonably) high expectations of everyone around her.
- We haven't made our relationship social media official yet. We have to at least wait until my boyfriend calls or messages all of his close friends and relatives with the news.
Health & wellness: I didn't work out at all in June. And I don't have health insurance now that it's July.
- I took advantage of being out of work to catch up on appointments with my doctor and dentist. I got a 6-month dental checkup and annual physical in the last week of June while I still had coverage. I also got a tetanus shot and had blood work done. I'm grateful for my health and won't need any appointments till December/January, when I'm due to visit the optometrist and dentist.
- I have until August to elect COBRA coverage and have it be retroactively applied to July. The health insurance I had under my employer would cost $645/month. This is too much coverage and too expensive for my non-existent needs, so I've been meaning to look into Obamacare. I'll spend more time on this towards the end of July after I finish my job search.
- I didn't have any income in June and am surprised at how little I thought about money. I worried a little about cash flow after paying July rent before my roommates paid me back for their part of the rent, but things went smoothly overall. After my last paycheck of $4K gets deposited next week, I won't need to think about money till mid-August.
- I'm still holding $6K cash in my brokerage account but don't expect to need it until the end of August if I haven't gotten my first paycheck by then.
- My portfolio could use rebalancing but it's not urgent so I'll wait till I finish my job search.
- Facebook announced a new currency called Libra which caused Bitcoin to jump in value. As a result I added my crypto wallet under "Other Assets". It contains 2 ETH and I'll keep it a static category going forward.
- I successfully navigated a dozen onsites so far and am fielding multiple job offers. I have more onsites next week and possibly the week after so I'm still practicing my interview skills this weekend.
- Now I'm starting to reflect on what I really want in a new role and whether I could picture actually working at various companies for multiple years.
- Another focus is to negotiate well and get a competitive offer that reflects the skills I've honed in the last 2 years. My best written offer so far is from a public company at $165K salary and $65K RSUs per year.